Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Women in the Military

So there I was; under the lights, in the “hot seat,” answering the tough questions, wondering “why me?” No, I hadn’t been called into the local police station for interrogation. GI-Kate was interviewing me for a potential documentary on women in the military. Cool!

What an experience! First of all, meeting GI-Kate was wonderful. What an impressive young woman. I’ve followed her blog, My American-Iraq Life, for a while now; but getting to meet her and know her in person was great. She’s a lot of fun and extremely intelligent. Second, watching the producer work was amazing. I couldn’t believe how much “behind-the-scenes” work goes into taping interviews. He was very professional and very easy to work with. Both GI-Kate and the producer set those of us being interviewed at ease and were interested in what we had to say. Finally, we taped my interview, and the interview of another female veteran, at the Women in Service for America Memorial at Arlington Cemetery. The staff there was so welcoming and so helpful. The Women’s Memorial is a superb facility. If you ever get to Arlington Cemetery, you must make it a part of your pilgrimage. It is spectacular! If you’re a woman veteran, you should register your service in their register. You can do it on-line at their web site. Anyway, I can’t give enough praise to GI-Kate, the producer, or to the staff at the Women’s Memorial. They made the whole thing work. Hopefully, the topic of women’s military service is sufficiently interesting to make a documentary that will be interesting to the public. I know I found it interesting! But then, I have “been there, done that.”

So; stay tuned. Perhaps there will be an announcement about a future showing. . .

No comments: