Friday, April 10, 2009

We're Jammin' Now!

Today I did something that I've always wanted to do, but had not taken the time to do....I made jam. Strawberry jam, to be specific. I even made two batches for a total of 8 two-cup jars. For some reason, it was a lot of fun! Not only am I excited about the final product, it was the "making" that was fun. Instead of following my usual pattern and trying to get the "thing" I was doing finished as quickly as possible; I made a choice to enjoy the process of building a jar (or 8 jars) of jam. By taking my time and enjoying the strawberry-mashing, the sugar-measuring, and the pot-stirring, the entire process was a blast and made me even more excited about my foray into jam-making. I think there's a life-lesson to be learned here. Sometimes it's the journey and not the destination that's important. Besides....I get to eat homemade jam on my toast tomorrow morning!

5 comments:

Tori said...

I have the BEST grape jelly recipe if you want it! So good--just ask my dad!
It is way easy--uses grape juice instead of grapes.
Took me 3 hours to make around 18 jars (the little ones)

Lela said...

YES! Tori, I'd love to try grape jelly next!

K-Dubyah said...

My most favorited jam in the world is blackberry.
And if you truly want to savor the flavor of the jam on toast or with peanut butter, you must pick your own blackberries. Normally during the hottest part of the summer. Swatting flies, wiping the sweat out of your eyes, and never forget to carry along a big stick, just in case you run across a big ol copperhead snake.

That's what make the jam taste so good...That is, if you get any of those berries you've found home.

I'll be going berry picking around mid-July, wanna join me?

Lela said...

Ahhhhh...KY Woman...I'd love to pick blackberries in July; but I absolutely HATE snakes...

K-Dubyah said...

Oh I do, too! That's why I always carry a big stick...