Tuesday, November 4, 2008

GO VOTE!

It's Election Day! Our polls opened at 0600 (6am for you non-military types). I was standing in line about 20-25 minutes before they opened, and there was still maybe 75 (or so) folks in front of me. By the time the polls opened, the line was at least 2, maybe 3 blocks long. I do have to say that I was impressed with the poll workers, though. Once the polls opened, though, the whole process went very well, smooth and well-orchestrated, at least at my polling place. Even though the lines are long, you should still go cast your vote! Don't wait! Do it now!

While I was waiting, I heard an interesting comment from one of the people in line behind me. She was talking to someone else and made the comment that she was glad to see a shift in how people thought about voting. She said that in the past, people treated voting like an obligation; something they had to do. But now, according to this woman, people are treating their vote like a privilege; a right they have because they are citizens. If there truly has been a shift in attitudes about voting, I hope the shift lasts! Voting should be a privilege of citizenship, not an obligation.

A privilege is defined as "a right, immunity, benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most" or even "any of the rights common to all citizens under a modern constitutional government." An obligation, on the other hand, is defined as "something by which a person is bound or obliged to do certain things, and which arises out of a sense of duty or results from custom, law, etc." Voting is a right we have because we are citizens of this great Nation. Perhaps we vote out of a sense of duty to the country, but doing so is nevertheless a benefit we enjoy because we are citizens. So, I agree with the woman in the polling place line; we should treat our right to vote as a privilege, and be thankful for having the chance to do so. Because it is your privilege to vote; go exercise your right. Vote!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree voting is priviledge and a right as a citizen of this country. I was always taught by my parents that if we didnot exercise our right to vote at some point in time we may lose that priviledge.. and if we didnot exercise that right we had no business complaining about who was elected to lead this country,your state or local governments.. VOTE